Gold Reef City is a brand founded by Ben Schutte and the Krok Brothers. Here are 10 Things you should know about Gold Reef City.
- Gold Reef City is an amusement park in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- It is located on an old gold mine which closed in 1971.
- The park is themed around the gold rush that started in 1886 on the Witwatersrand.
- The buildings on the park are designed to mimic the same period.
- There is a museum dedicated to gold mining on the grounds where it is possible to see a gold-containing ore vein and see how gold is poured into barrels.
- Multiple shops around the park can be located.
- Some of the popular rides at the theme park include:
Anaconda, , Golden Loop, Jozi Express, Miner’s Revenge, Raging River Rapids, Runaway Train, Storm Chaser, The High Flying Maverick, Tower of Terror, UFO, Giant Wheel Ferris.
- It was reported in 2013 that acidic mine water was slowly rising within the mine on which the park is built.
- There was a possibility of the park being flooded if left unattended.
- Mine tours were temporarily halted, and the museum was moved from 215m underground to 80m above ground.