Africa’s leading health food restaurant chain, KAUAI, which has just launched its ‘Don’t go back to abnormal’ conversation-starter campaign. Here are 10 Things You Should Know About Kauai
1. Kauai is South Africa’s leading healthy food restaurant
2. They have 170 stores in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Netherlands, UK and Thailand.
3. Kauai has a strong heritage of making healthy eating easy, delicious and convenient – the brand has been helping South Africans eat healthy for more than 24 years.
4. In 2015, Kauai became the first national quick service restaurant to commit to using exclusively free range eggs and chicken; since then it has added over 100 other superfood ingredients to its healthy menu, including organic coffee, collagen, spirulina, kale, broccoli and spinach.
5. Kauai has embarked on international expansion over the past year, opening 4 international stores: Kauai’s first European store (in Utrecht, Netherlands) opened in August 2019, Kauai Teviot opened in Edinburgh in August 2020, and Kauai Thailand, in partnership with respected Thai hotel group Dusit International, has two locations in Bangkok with more to follow.
6. Kauai will continue its UK expansion under a master territory franchise agreement with Wellness Brands Europe Ltd, and plans to open 20 Kauai fast casual restaurants over the next three years in the UK.
7. Kauai parent company, Real Foods (Pty) Ltd is a multi-brand food group with unmatched dedication to natural food, innovation, social responsibility and integrity. It is at the forefront of the global trend towards health and wellness, and aims to be the leader in natural food. It builds strong, natural food brands that are leaders in their categories.
8. Real Foods was founded by Dean Kowarski in 2013. Dean Kowarski has had a successful career across both corporate finance roles and operational roles, working in corporate finance at Federal Mogul USA and as the CEO at Fedsure Investments UK.
9. The company lists Kauai, NÜ Health Café, Schoon Bakery & Bread Cafés and Free Bird (a free range chicken burger concept) in its restaurant portfolio.
10. The group also has stakes in 3 honey businesses: Highveld Honey, Brother Bees and QBee Honey, as well as Uber Nutrition, a private label snack bar innovation and manufacturing business.